Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Movie Review: Django Unchained


As I tweeted the other day, I wanted to review an Oscar winning film. So, since winning an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay is my ultimate dream, I chose ‘Django Unchained’.  I’m not a big fan of the Wild West films, but it’s a Quentin Tarantino film, so I was really excited to see it. I don’t know how to explain my take on Tarantino’s filmmaking style. He is famous of making unconventional stories in the most innovative way while keeping in mind, the artistic and in the same time commercial aspect in his film. See, I told you, I’m bad at explaining his methods, hahaha. Anyway what I mean is; his movies have a combination of elements that appeal to both critics and viewers.  
So, the film is about Django (Jamie Foxx), a slave in 1858 who was freed by a German dentist, Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) who is a bounty hunter. Hoping to find his enslaved wife (Kerry Washington) Django join Dr. King and become his deputy. They finally find his wife under the ownership of, a ruthless plantation owner, Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio).
It’s a long film, 2 hours and a half with some bloody scenes (well, if you saw Kill Bill, it’s not that much) but it’s a movie NOT TO BE MISSED! It’s very smart and sharp and Tarantino knows exactly the right moment for slow motion scenes to intrigue interest. It’s so thrilling and really moving.
The main theme in the film was slavery (that reminded me that I need to watch ‘12 Years a Slave’). It just shows you how much the African American suffered in those days and no matter how you tried, you can’t imagine the feeling of being owned and humiliated like that. I really enjoyed how the story (written by Tarantino) showed slavery and all that suffering through the eyes of a couple who will do anything for their love. It raised the issue of the ‘forbidden love’.
Since ‘Django Unchained’ won Best Writing, Original Screenplay, I paid attention to the dialogue. The moment you hear the doctor speaks in the film, you know how smart the script is. It gave the doctor’s character its unique voice and identity. Waltz also won Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role for playing the doctor. He was super awesome. He was brilliant! I totally approve the win.
Jamie Foxx was amazing in his role as well. He brought the character alive through his eyes. I always said that the success of an actor is shown through his eyes. He made me believe he was dying inside whenever something happened to his wife. I also always, always, always enjoy Leonardo’s acting. He needs an Oscar soon! His characters are always varied and his acting is just ah! Genius!
The movie is again not to be missed. It’s even has some funny scenes, so it has everything! If you’re looking for a good movie, here’s a film for you. But if you can’t take the blood and torturing, you shouldn’t watch it. It’s a bit disturbing.
Oh and it has an awesome soundtrack! I love it!
Tell I manage to see something good soon! (hopefully Prisoners!!)
Kemz
Twitter & Instagram: @kemzmovies

No comments:

Post a Comment