Thursday, December 8, 2011

Movie Review: Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind



The story of Joel (Jim Carrey) and Clementine(Kate Winslet); two opposites characters who fall in and out of love and how they try to get rid of the heartbreaking memories by visiting a memory erasing clinic. It’s amazing to see how when they had to face the fact that they’ll never be together again they tried their best to run away from this process. Through that we dive into their worlds of memories and scene by scene we learn more about their relationship. And in the end we are touched by the last thought of the movie which is for me was, if you’re meant to be, you’ll always find a way to be together.

The movie starts with a beautiful scene of Joel just feeling fed up with his life and skipping work. We all have these moments, when we feel so empty that we just want to leave everything and just walk away and see where life takes us and hope to meet someone who will makes us feel less alone in this world; someone who will save us. Also the idea of being able to erase all your sad memory is very appealing. This kind of clinics will attract millions of people. I myself thought, I want that, but then as I watched the movie and heard Joel saying “Just let me keep this one.” I felt no, memories are meant to be kept or else we’ll be empty and lose our souls even if these memories were heartbreaking. Memories make us who we are and for that we should cherish them.

You cannot help, but feel related to the story, even though it has some fictional aspects. I mean this is what I loved about this movie, even though it took us inside of Joel’s head, (which is complete sci-fi thing) the scenes took us to the most realistic places like Joel’s childhood home or the beach. The whole story felt spontaneous and natural, especially the dialogue. I mean Clementine reminded me of myself. Michel Gondry (Director) is just a genius. The way he shot the scenes with sharp frames made this simple story really artistic. My favorite scene was when they were laying on the frozen lake. It was just mesmerizing.

And let’s not forget to talk about performances. This by far is my favorite Jim Carry movie. I never thought he could get out of his fake funny face, but here he was warm, sweet and funny. He was believable and the brilliant Kate Winslet was so comfortable in her own skin that she made me feel this is her true character and she’s been like this her entire life. It was such a perfect compensation.

It’s definitely going to be on my favorite list. It’s such an eternal movie. 

By:
Kemz
Twitter & Instagram: @kemzmovies

No comments:

Post a Comment